Driving license: European experience and recommendations for Ukraine
A study on the adaptation of Ukrainian legislation on road transportation to the European law.
This topic is very important for Ukraine, since at least one half of Ukrainians are drivers. The reform will bring a lot of change, but nothing unexpected or tough.
Experts of the Ukrainian Center for European Policy have found out that:
1. The renewal of the driving license for drivers of Group 1 (every 10 or 15 years, depending on the country’s regulatons) is only an administrative measure and does not require additional testing (taking exams).
2. Ukraine is not obliged to introduce a microchip in the driving license. Today, not all EU Member States have such a microchip in the license.
3. Ukraine is not obliged to introduce a full medical examination for drivers in Group 1 during the issuance/renewal/prolongation of the driving license, while there is such an obligation for drivers in Group 2.
4. The renewal of the driving license after the implementation of the EU Directives will take place after:
– Group 1: 10-15 years
– Group 2: 5 years
5. After the implementation of the EU Directives, rules will be changed for drivers of commercial vehicles. They will have to receive a certificate of professional competence, as well as regularly confirm it.